Seven domains of practice making organizational change accessible to all.
Discover 7 DOMAINS OF PRACTICE, doorways into developing a more horizontal culture and mindset!
Going Horizontal is a practical and strategic change model built on 7 domains of practice common to most all organizations and groups (and part of everyday life!). Working with the domains helps you to take simple action towards more collaborative and democratic ways of working, whatever your position within a group or team.
No matter the size of your organization or the sector, the pathway to sustainable change is through practice!
3 types of practice
Practices to claim your personal leadership, boost initiative taking and accountability. The freedom to be responsible.
- When and where you work
- How you work
- Take responsibility and action for what you notice
- Hold yourself and others accountable
- Stewarding roles
Practices on how to use Purpose as a compass that unlocks coordinated action and enlivening collaborations.
- Make purpose clear
- Keep purpose on track
- Be self-aware (and healthy) of your alignment with purpose
- Purpose of the organisation
Find different ways on how to organise and host meetings that are effective, engaging, and allow for joyful and collective forward movement.
- Ensure collaborative and fair process and participation in meetings
- Support wise agenda setting
- Engage in self-determined attendance
- Rotate the documentation, organisation, facilitation
Discover how to work with Transparency – default open – as a practice of innovation and a basis for trust.
- Default to open (information, ideas, methods, errors)
- Make daily activities visible to others
- Invite in the external world
- Overcome taboos around finances
Learn how to find and apply the right Decision-Making methodologies appropriate to the different situations in your organization.
- Match situation to decision making method
- Clarify what needs to be participatory and agreement systems
- Let others take decisions and honour the outcomes
- Nourish proposal mindset for self and others
How to embed self-directed Learning and Development tools and routines into daily work life, with the objective of supporting each other’s learning.
- Know your own learning needs and desires
- Help remove permissions required to learn
- Embed learning rituals and processes (sense-making, feedback, trigger log)
- Co-create, track and use metrics
How to work with Relationships & Conflict as a tool for growth and learning, and enhance team cohesion.
- Grow the relational foundation
- Be centered and help others be centered
- Speak up constructively
- Be self-aware of your conflict tendencies
- Approach conflict systematically
- Heal emotional wounds